Friday, September 28, 2012

A bone dry post. No, really.

So... what was planned for yesterday was a fail.
I better make up for it!

My morning was spent spraying, spraying, and spraying some more. And I went through 4 glue sticks as well. Not bad for a job done before breakfast, right?

Let me show you what I was up to.

These two dudes and their identical twins were ruthlessly butchered for the sake of Hallowe'en:


Yeah, yeah, I know. I felt a bit guilty, too. But not for long.

They got re- assembled into this:


Chrome spray and a little battery- operated chain of spider fairy lights. Say it with me. Spider fairy lights.

I meant for it to be an outdoor wreath, but then I remembered the purple glitter spray I got for 99p the other day and inspiration viciously assaulted me.

Are you familiar with advent wreathes? Basically, they are wreathes made from evergreens, decorated with 4 candles. In the 4 weeks before Christmas, one candle gets lit every Sunday, and once all candles are used, Santa is on the doorstep!
As a kid, I LOVED those wreathes, and ever since I was old enough I was allowed to light the candles on Sundays. Aaaah... sweet memories.

Now, let me wreck this sweet mental image for you.






I took some hoarded kitchen towel rolls and toilet paper rolls and let hot glue run down from the top. (spooky wax effect!) All rolls got a nice coat of black spray paint and, once dry, a big helping of purple glitter spray afterwards.


The shorter rolls were treated to clear lacquer as a finishing touch, the larger ones left to look a bit dusty and tattered.

The rolls are stuffed with newspaper, and they will receive a flameless tealight each (sprayed black) when it's time to display the whole thing.

What do you think, did Skelli And Mr Mummy die in vain?


He looks happy enough- in fact he doesn't seem to give a rats' @rse (pun intended)!

So, there you go, I bet you have never seen a Hallowe'en Advent Wreath before. Don't say I don't broaden your minds!

For now, my, erm, candle rolls grace the mantelpiece, awaiting their flameless candles. And I must say that they look better than in the photos- the glitter really shines, and in what is now almost dusk around here, they seem almost real. Yeah, happy with that.
So, shopping list top two items: rechargeable batteries for the spideys and flameless candles. Way more important than washing up- liquid and eggs, don't you agree?









8 comments:

  1. The glue at the fake candles...! How cool is that! The colour and effect is so great! And I see it: The golden mother rats! ^^

    How turned the little ones out after a longer drying time?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh the purple makes this, the glue - Genius, love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The candles are so fabulicious! A genius trash-to-treaure idea. And the wreaths are very cool - the skellies were not dismembered in vain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So fabulous! and yes...you have broadened my mind!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aaah - spooky silver - my kind of Halloween decoration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Serious brilliance, I love it! Spider. Fairy. Lights.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my gosh! Beyond perfect! It's looking a bit Giger, too, with those spines and rib cages.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love it all! You're so creative :)

    ReplyDelete